Back in 2004 I decided to play a practical joke on the local trick or treaters at halloween and with over 20 years Experience in Industrial automation it was natural for me to apply my skills and experience to the problem.
Shortly after my fist experiences at haunting I discovered that there were many individuals in the community that would be interested in the kind of fully automatic haunt that I was doing yet lacked the skills and experience.
In teh development of the Exorcist Haunt concept there were several key requirements
1) there was to be no programming language that needed learning.
2) it was to use standard off the shelf products.
3) it was to be an expandable platform that could be started cheaply yet built on as the individuals needs grew.
4) it was to be easy to support.
With these goals in mind a system was designed that has the Following cornerstones
1) Brookshire VSA, this was felt to be the most accessible routine writing software available and was already popular for stand alone props and sets.
2) DMX compatability, There is a huge number of lighting and control products that supported DMX, and the list is growing.
3) Enttec USB DMX, possible the best value and performing PC DMX inerface available
4) The Exorcist software interface and IOboard, this cvustom designed IOboard and software tied the whole system together.