Essay on Instinct
Terms and Conditions
2. Our Service.
Our web site and services provided to you on and through our web site on an "AS IS" basis. You agree that the owners of this web site exclusively reserve the right and may, at any time and without notice and any liability to you, modify or discontinue this web site and its services or delete the data you provide, whether temporarily or permanently. We shall have no responsibility or liability for the timeliness, deletion, failure to store, inaccuracy, or improper delivery of any data or information.
3. Your Responsibilities and Registration Obligations.
5. Registration and Password. You are responsible to maintain the confidentiality of your password and shall be responsible for all uses via your registration and/or login, whether authorized or unauthorized by you. You agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorized use or your registration, user account or password.
6. Your Conduct.
You agree that our web site may expose you to Content that may be objectionable or offensive. We shall not be responsible to you in any way for the Content that appears on this web site nor for any error or omission.
You explicitly agree, in using this web site or any service provided, that you shall not:
(a) provide any Content or perform any conduct that may be unlawful, illegal, threatening, harmful, abusive, harassing, stalking, tortious, defamatory, libelous, vulgar, obscene, offensive, objectionable, pornographic, designed to or does interfere or interrupt this web site or any service provided, infected with a virus or other destructive or deleterious programming routine, give rise to civil or criminal liability, or which may violate an applicable local, national or international law;
(b) impersonate or misrepresent your association with any person or entity, or forge or otherwise seek to conceal or misrepresent the origin of any Content provided by you;
(c) collect or harvest any data about other users;
(d) provide or use this web site and any Content or service in any commercial manner or in any manner that would involve junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of unauthorized advertising without our prior written consent;
(e) provide any Content that may give rise to our civil or criminal liability or which may constitute or be considered a violation of any local, national or international law, including but not limited to laws relating to copyright, trademark, patent, or trade secrets.
7. Third Party Services.
Goods and services of third parties may be advertised and/or made available on or through this web site. Representations made regarding products and services provided by third parties are governed by the policies and representations made by these third parties. We shall not be liable for or responsible in any manner for any of your dealings or interaction with third parties.
9. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS WEB SITE AND ANY SERVICES OR CONTENT PROVIDED (THE "SERVICE") IS MADE AVAILABLE AND PROVIDED TO YOU AT YOUR OWN RISK. IT IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" AND WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, IMPLIED OR EXPRESS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY, IMPLIED OR EXPRESS, THAT ANY PART OF THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE, TIMELY, SECURE, ACCURATE, RELIABLE, OF ANY QUALITY, NOR THAT ANY CONTENT IS SAFE IN ANY MANNER FOR DOWNLOAD. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT NEITHER US NOR ANY PARTICIPANT IN THE SERVICE PROVIDES PROFESSIONAL ADVICE OF ANY KIND AND THAT USE OF SUCH ADVICE OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WITHOUT OUR LIABILITY OF ANY KIND. Some jurisdictions may not allow disclaimers of implied warranties and the above disclaimer may not apply to you only as it relates to implied warranties.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS (EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM OR ARISING OUT OF (I) THE USE OF OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE, (II) THE COST TO OBTAIN SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND/OR SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY TRANSACTION ENTERED INTO ON THROUGH THE SERVICE, (III) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR DATA TRANSMISSIONS, (IV) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE SERVICE, OR (V) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SERVICE. In some jurisdictions, it is not permitted to limit liability and therefore such limitations may not apply to you.
11. Reservation of Rights. We reserve all of our rights, including but not limited to any and all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, and any other proprietary right that we may have in our web site, its content, and the goods and services that may be provided. The use of our rights and property requires our prior written consent. We are not providing you with any implied or express licenses or rights by making services available to you and you will have no rights to make any commercial uses of our web site or service without our prior written consent.
12. Notification of Copyright Infringement. If you believe that your property has been used in any way that would be considered copyright infringement or a violation of your intellectual property rights, our copyright agent may be contacted at the following email address:
13. Applicable Law.
By continuing to browse or otherwise accessing the web site, you signal acceptance of the terms and disclaimer set out above. If you do not accept any of these terms, leave this Web Site now.
The Richard Jefferies Society published this previously unseen essay by Richard Jefferies on 14 August 2012 that exists in manuscript form only at the British Library. The BL granted permission to print the article. Entitled Essay on Instinct and written in 1868, Jefferies dismisses the theory that animals...
The Scarlet Shawl
The Scarlet Shawl (1874) is the first and the slightest of the three published early novels, but in some ways the most charming. It is a tale of how the young and likeable Nora loses her admirer and would-be lover, Percival. She nearly drifts into a loveless marriage, only to be rescued by luck and her...
Richard Jefferies: An I..
Richard Jefferies: an Index of themes, thoughts and observations provides a basic index to the principal elements in Jefferies published work (the latter are also listed in the book in date order of publication). It is partly a word-index (e.g. names of species) and partly a subject-index (e.g. Nature...
Greene Ferne Farm
Richard Jefferies based many of his scenes on the people and places that he knew around his birthplace and home at Coate in north Wiltshire. Richard wrote to a publisher about an early version of Greene Ferne Farm as follows: If the plot be subtracted I think I may say that nine tenths of my novel is...
The Interpreter: A Biog..
For over forty years, Audrey Smiths biography of Richard Jefferies was been hidden away. In 2007 her son, John, discovered the volume of research undertaken by his mother that included this work. He donated a copy of the typescript to the Richard Jefferies Society and noted that: Though time has moved...
Restless Human Hearts
Restless Human Hearts is the centrepiece of the triptych of early works by Richard Jefferies. The original (1875) and ambitious three-volume work anticipates the mature author in many of its themes. Nature and nature mysticism are sharply contrasted with the decadence of fashionable Mayfair society....
World's End (1877) is the last and best of the three novels Richard Jefferies published under the Tinsley Bros imprint. It opens with a compelling foundation-myth of the manufacturing city of Stirmingham, whose phenomenal growth is ironically traced back to the activities of a water-rat. The plot centres...
The Dewy Morn
This edition of The Dewy Morn , with an introduction by Rebecca Welshman, was published in 2009. The Dewy Morn was first published in 1884. It is a love story set in the foothills of the Marlborough Downs in north Wiltshire where Jefferies was born and raised. The plot centres on the beautiful Felise...
The Rise of Maximin
The Rise of Maximin: Emperor of the Occident ( Compiled by Lucius, Keeper of the Imperial Archives at Iscapolis and translated by Richard Jefferies) is a fictional record of the conquests of the Emperor Maximin and was first published in serial form in The New Monthly Magazine between October 1876 and...
A Natural System of Nat..
In the summer of 1871 the Swindon Advertiser published a series of three articles by Richard Jefferies under the title 'A Natural System of National Defence'. These early articles reflect Jefferies' ideas for setting up a home guard in England. The articles were re-published on 14th August 2014 in a...
Ben Tubbs Adventures
Ben Tubbs Adventures is Richard Jefferies earliest extant work of any length, probably written in his late teens. It is a quest novel of voyage and adventure, and his first essay in a genre to which he was naturally drawn. It was probably influenced by the greatest quest story of them all, Homers Odyssey...
The Farmer's World: Ric..
The Farmer's World comprises all the articles by Jefferies published in The Live Stock Journal along with an introduction by Eric Jones. The articles are forthright, almost campaigning, often urging readers to reconsider their conservative ways, to be innovative, to seek commercial opportunities and...